Sana Yousaf Killing: Prime Suspect Umar Hayat Rejects All Charges, Calls Death 'Blind Murder'
By Sayed Abdullah | May 19, 2026
- The retraction: What Umar Hayat actually said in court
- Background of the murder and the earlier confession
- Questions that now hang over the investigation
- The bigger problem of social media pressure on criminal cases
Exactly one year ago, Islamabad woke up to a crime that felt like it belonged in a TV drama rather than real life. Sana Yousaf, a 17-year-old TikToker with over a million followers, was shot twice inside her own home in Sector G-13/1. The police moved fast. Within days they had their suspect: Umar Hayat, another young TikToker who they said had confessed and helped recover evidence. Case closed, right? Well, not quite. On Monday, in a courtroom in the capital, Hayat stood up and told a completely different story. He called the killing a "blind murder," denied everything, and claimed he'd been set up because the internet was screaming for someone to blame.
Honestly, I've followed a fair number of criminal cases in Pakistan, but this one is starting to feel particularly messy.
What Changed Between Friday and Monday
Here's the thing that gets me. Just last Friday, Investigation Officer Fakhar Abbas was telling the court that Hayat had confessed before a magistrate. He'd even helped the police find key evidence. That's about as solid as a prosecution case gets in the early stages. But then Monday rolls around, and Hayat — recording his statement under Section 342 before Judge Afzal Majoka — basically tore up the script.
He said he'd never even been to Sana's house. No contact with her whatsoever. No dispute, no argument, nothing. And then he dropped the line that is going to define this case going forward: he claimed he was falsely implicated because Sana's followers put pressure on the police through social media. In other words, the mob wanted an arrest, and the police gave them one — whether it was the right one or not.
I don't know if Hayat is guilty. But I do know that when a confession gets retracted and the accused starts talking about being denied lawyers during questioning, any judge with experience is going to start asking very uncomfortable questions.
The Gaps in the Evidence
Hayat's defence isn't just "I didn't do it." They're pointing to specific holes in the investigation. CCTV footage — which you'd expect to be crucial in a case like this — apparently wasn't properly produced in court. No witness was brought forward to verify how Sana was taken to hospital after the shooting. And Hayat says his statements were recorded without his lawyers present. If even one of those claims holds up under scrutiny, the prosecution is in trouble.
I'm not a lawyer, but I've watched enough courtroom proceedings to know that procedural mistakes are often what undo a case. Not the dramatic cross-examinations you see in movies, but the boring stuff — missing footage, missing witnesses, missing paperwork. That's what defence lawyers build their arguments on, and right now, Hayat's lawyers seem to have a fair bit of material to work with.
He also denied stealing Sana's mobile phone, which had been floated as a possible motive. And perhaps most significantly, he said he had no confidence in the court or the state counsel. That's not just frustration talking. That's a signal that the defence plans to challenge the fairness of the entire process, not just the facts of the case.
Social Media Pressure and Its Collateral Damage
We need to talk about the elephant in the room, and that's the role Sana's followers played in all this. She was hugely popular. A million followers isn't just a number — it's a community, and when she was killed, that community demanded justice immediately. The pressure on the police to produce a suspect must have been overwhelming. And pressure, in criminal investigations, has a nasty habit of producing shortcuts.
I've seen this happen before in high-profile cases. The public wants someone in handcuffs, the media wants a clear story, and the police — already stretched thin and often under-resourced — deliver what's expected of them. The problem is that the person who ends up in handcuffs isn't always the right person. Sometimes they're just the most convenient one.
If Hayat is innocent — and I'm not saying he is, we simply don't know yet — then the real killer has had a whole year to cover their tracks while the investigation was focused on the wrong person. That's a terrifying thought. If he's guilty, then the confession will eventually be tested against whatever physical evidence exists, and the court will sort it out. But right now, the case is a mess, and a young woman's family is still waiting for answers that aren't coming quickly.
Why This Matters Beyond One Courtroom
Sana Yousaf was seventeen. Her death wasn't just a crime; it was a glimpse into the pressures that young influencers live with — fame, followers, online rivalries, and almost no protection when things go wrong. The investigation was supposed to bring her family closure. Instead, it's turning into a case study in how not to handle a high-profile murder.
For the justice system, this is a test. Can a retracted confession be properly weighed against whatever evidence remains? Can procedural objections be taken seriously without the public assuming the accused is just playing games? And can the noise from social media — the same noise that made Sana famous and then demanded swift justice for her death — be kept out of the courtroom where only the evidence should matter?
I don't know the answers to those questions. But I do know that the court is going to have to answer them, and soon. Whatever happens next, Sana's family deserves better than a case that keeps unravelling every time the accused opens his mouth.
Do you think retracted confessions should carry any weight in court, or does this case show how easily investigations can go off track when the public demands quick results? Let me know in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who was Sana Yousaf?
A: She was a 17-year-old TikToker from Islamabad with over a million followers. She was shot twice inside her home in June 2025.
Q: What did Umar Hayat say in court on Monday?
A: He retracted his earlier confession, called the killing a "blind murder," and denied any connection to Sana. He claimed he was falsely implicated because of social media pressure.
Q: What happens next?
A: The court will examine procedural objections, including whether CCTV footage and witnesses were properly handled, before deciding on the admissibility of the confession.
Sayed Abdullah is the founder of Prime Pakistan. Based in Karachi, he provides honest analysis on politics, crime, and social issues for the common Pakistani. He believes in context over clickbait. Read more.
Related Articles
- 'Cocaine Queen' Anmol: The Full Story Behind Pakistan's Most Brazen Drug Empire
- 'This Journey Wasn't Easy': Emaan Fatima Hits One Million Followers
Sources & External Links
- Dawn — Umar Hayat Retracts Confession in Sana Yousaf Case
- The Express Tribune — Court Hearing Details

0 Comments